Thread: Bmw K1...
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #64
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
I live in Los Angeles and ride a lot. I have NEVER seen a K1 on the road in the last 12 years.

Rallies, yes. Showrooms yes. Being ridden...no.

I really like how they look and will probably buy one if the money is right and the opportunity arises.

They are sure to be collectible if that is your motive.
When I owned my first one, over twenty years ago now, I never saw more than one other on the road. Since then I think that I've seen two (actually in use). There used to be an advertising blurb "Seeing one is rare, owning one is rarer" - seems to have been the most truthful advertising ever.

Looks are subjective. I would never call it pretty, not even handsome but I do like it even though it's difficult to say why.

Values will climb faster than any other K-Brick if for no other reason than rarity.

Mine will get regular use, mileage is less important than cosmetic condition IMO as putting a tatty one right is more expensive than sorting it mechanically.

Apart from the main, upper fairing, the rest are made from very thin plastics (apparently to keep the weight down a bit). If over tightened, the fairing screws can cause the plastic to fracture easily. This led to them being known in some markets as "yoghurt pots":

Most of the plastics are still available new but no longer in anything other than primer. Likewise, most of the graphics are available. There's a lot of plastic to re-paint if it needs it.

Of the colour schemes, many people didn't like the blue/yellow & red/yellow when they were a current model and BMW responded by bringing out the more muted blue/silver, black/silver and black without graphics (I'm not sure what category the Dakar Yellow one falls into though).

Now, however, the original schemes seem to be more sought-after. It looks as though people now understand that unusual styling demands unusual colour schemes.

There's a more pragmatic reason for choosing the original colour schemes as a prospective owner; the yellow transmission is far easier to keep looking good (as long as it isn't chipped):

Whereas the bare aluminium version soon becomes tarnished and requires a lot of graft to clean up:

It can be sorted though:

Rear wheels seem to suffer most, mainly from owners or tyre-fitters who try to squeeze the wheel past the final drive without dismantling the necessary bits to clear the ABS ring:

Finding a touch-up is nigh-on impossible but a little, imagination, time and enamel model paints can approximate the colour:

It will do until I can find a rough second-hand wheel and then see if I can find a powder-coat company who can match the original.

The K1 will never reach the values of some "classic" bikes but I think that before long it will reward the effort to find and keep a good one.