View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #49565
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Keep in mind the xrl is a TALL bike that carries its fuel load high, that 5.8 tank is going to make your bike feel ungodly top-heavy. I'm running an IMS 4.7 gallon according to the previous owner, and even with my bike professionally lowered/resprung/revalved, and me being 6'3", my bike is still too tall and top heavy with the big tank on it. I would NEVER put a 5.8 on unless I was going on an intercontinental adventure ride. You'll never need that much fuel, and the weight and size destroys the handling and fun factor of the xrl off road.
I agree with the top heavy-ness when the tank is full. The front end will push pretty hard. However, when the tank only has a couple gallons in it, it carries the weight lower than the factory tank and it handles great. You will probably want to make sure you have an oil cooler because it does probably restrict some of the upper engine air flow.

I didn't like the installation but now that it's installed, I like the 5.8 a lot. The two things that would be nice are OEM petcocks rather than those cheesy Acerbis petcocks, and a translucent color so I can see how much fuel is left. That said, I haven't had any problems with the Acerbis petcocks after multiple crashes.

I think if you need the range, it's a great tank. I got it for Baja, where there are plenty of places it's needed but I also put the extra range to good use around here. It's nice not having to interrupt a day of exploring to backtrack to a gas station.