View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #49569
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Subzero, heal up quick and do every bit of what your PT tells you, plus more! You are young, take care of yourself and you will heal up well. Think positive and think of us, we're all rooting for you.

I had a head on with a Chevy Tahoe two years ago on a 26 ft. wide forest road. I went around a right hand blind apex and some dumb ass was talking to his passenger and driving like he was an Englishman. I skidded to my left, then throttled to cross the the left. At the same time he turned to his right (fuckin' thanks, a little late). When I knew a collision was imminent, I jumped off the pegs and pushed off the handle bars with everything I was worth. I flew on his his hood, hit his window and then sailed 40 ft. down the road. I was lucky to escape with some contusions of the kidneys and bruised ribs. My bike was totaled, however. Initially, my insurance company (same as his BTW) wanted to 50/50 the accident because of no police report, but my friends and I took plenty of pictures at the scene and then went back months latter and took some more with video and a tape measure. I was riding less than a foot from the drainage ditch and had evidence to support that, the skid etc. California law says you are supposed to drive/ride on the left-hand most side of the road–dirt, yellow line or otherwise. Cal-trans standard for a lane is 11ft. I used 12 inches of my 11 ft. and won the case. Be careful boys!
I'm curious about the gear you were wearing. For street riding I wear the First gear Rainier jacket and Escape pants and really wonder about the foam pads they claim are crash protection. It's kind of funny that these pads are more than enough for trail riding and the occasional tumble in the rocks. I mean it seams backward, for the street I should be wearing the hard plastic pressure suit and shin/knee guards and for the trail the foam padding is plenty.