View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #386
K0m4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
Because they're already at the edge of traction when they're leaned over and accelerating out of a turn. Countersteering would add unwanted and abrupt additional load on the front. Recent example: when Pedrosa crashed at Phillip Island on the hairpin, he went in too deep and tried to pull it back around (countersteering or not), put too much load on the front and lowsided.

What we do at 40mph to avoid an unseen obstacle in a canyon corner is a whole different deal than what they're doing at 10/10ths on a closed circuit.
I don't think they're always in every turn on the very edge of traction, especially not during a race. That would eat their tires pretty quickly. They might not be too far from it, but I'd think they're well within the margin (well within the margin as in the tiny margins that these people play with) to add something like for example a little counter-steer or a bit more throttle when exiting. Other times, when they're going for it, they are real close though, or over like Pedrosa in your example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post

I find this video to be highly instructional, especially with the audio turned off.
Fixed.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote