View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,511
Oklahoma Route 66

I had carved out about a week to be able to get as far West on the Route as I could. Headed back to Baxter Springs, KS where I had left off and headed for Oklahoma.

One of my stops was in Miami at Walan's Ku Ku Burgers joint. On the route it is famous for the giant Ku Ku Bird sticking it's head out of the building.
Had a burger and a malt. Awesome.

While still in Miami I wanted to stop at the vintage motorcycle museum too.

This Yamaha really caught my eye. I had one like it and used to race flat track up in Nebraska many moons ago.

Remember Indian Larry?

Lots of very cool old bikes here and it's free.

As I left Miami I was on the hunt for the "Ribbon Road" or "Sidewalk Highway" , a 9' wide stretch of route 66 laid down in the 1920's. Someone came up with the idea of saving some money, after all there would never be more than two cars on the road at the same time!! Sure enough there it was.

Oklahoma turned out to be a fantastic trip back in time for the old road.

I pulled into Afton, Ok and the "Afton Station"

Was now the "Packard Museum" What a treat!

Ridding on down the highway the weather was cool but sunny skies and I was really enjoying the sites in Oklahoma. Here is Catoosa's Blue Whale

Leaving Tulsa now and a friend of mine had told me to be sure to stop by and look at what the city was doing to commemorate the old road. It was first class!

When I hit Sapulpa I had to find the historic Waite Phillips gas station. It was in great shape and very cool.

Oh Oh, looks like gas has gone up!! 22 cents!!

OK, we put a few more miles under the Beemer and had to stop in Stroud, OK at the "Rock Cafe" Home to "Sally Carrera" of the movie "Cars" Seems the owner of this little cafe was the inspiration for this car in the movies. Awesome place.

On down the road I stopped in Chandler, OK and wanted to see the Route 66 interpretive center but it was closed on Mondays...bummer.

So hit the road West and the next stop was going to be great. The vintage motorcycle museum called "Seba Station" in Warwick, Ok.

It proved to be one of the trips highlights!! Wow what a collection. I even saw the very first bike I ever purchased myself! A 1968 Yamaha DT-1 250cc two stroke! RESTORED......

I spent over two hours in this place. It was just the best.
Flat Trackers all lined up!! I was starting to drool...

Hey Guzzi fans...this place is for you.

Any Speedway fans??!!

How about BSA Twin fans.

What a place. I have so many more pictures but if it is close enough it's worth a trip over there.

Next up the round barn and Pops. Ever seen 600 different flavors of pop? Well your about to!

When you pass through Arcadia, Ok on route 66 you can't miss the Round Barn Built in 1898 it is very unique.

Saw this cool 57' while I was there too.

Also in Arcadia is Pop's Soda Ranch

They have fuel and a nice restaurant inside too. I didn't stop but did get some good pictures. Just wish I could have seen it lit up after dark.

Want to give a big shout out to fellow ADV'r KLAY who sent me a picture of the Pop's bottle lit up! He said a tornado had just passed through that area so the sky
still looks menacing. Thanks agin KLAY.

Well by now it was getting late in the day but I wanted to check out Lucille's Road House in Mulhall, Ok. and then find a room. Which I did and it was just great! First the historic original location.

A little farther down the road the new one and the restaurant was very good. Lucille's Road House

Later gents I'm pooped.

10Cup screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 04:44 PM
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote