View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
digger440 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
The brake pedal

Yeah rear brakes since I built the rearsets I needed to move the rear brake controls so they are reachable. You can see how far away from the new location the stock lever is

So I removed the arm and cut off the portion of the lever that actuates the master just below the pivot bolt

Then I drilled and tapped what was left of the brake lever in order to bolt a "bellcrank" to that will be actuated by the pedal

I then found a "splined piece" (I dont dare say what it was) that captures the head of the pivot bolt and formed a bellcrank that would bolt to the stock lever that is drilled and tapped.

Ok do you remember the support I cut from the left footpeg behind the shift lever and the squiggly piece I cut from the right footpeg? Well in the interest of recycling and reusing I saw the shape of what I wanted in these two "leftovers". So I did what any self respecting tinkerer would do and I welded them together and bored out the end that attached to the "splined piece", pressed in a 17mm hex and welded that into the arm.

I welded the Bellcrank to the "splined piece" and checked to make sure that when the two pieces were put together ther was enough bite on the splines so that it wouldn't round out or break under heavy stomping.

I drilled a small hole in the head of the pivot bolt and tapped it with a bottom tap to retain the lever. Seems safe enough as there is no lateral moment with the bolt tightened.

The last part I needed a actual pedal piece, so I cut off the factory foot-trap and drill it and tapped the lever so it would bolt on. And Viola, brake pedal with a stock brake light switch and actuating arm.

Next is exhaust , really , no joke

digger440 screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 01:15 AM
digger440 is offline   Reply With Quote