View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #107
MarkH67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
From my experience, scooter tend to require maintenance more often than motorcycles and getting to things are complicated due to all the plastic. However, this varies from scooter to scooter as well as motorcycle to motorcycle.

Valve adjustments in particular can be very complicated on a scooter due to all the body work. Adjusting the valves on my KLR is easier than on my Sport City 250. This, despite the fact that the Sport City has Screw & Locknut adjusters and the KLR uses shims. Luckily, neither requires valve adjustments that often. On my Kymco on the other hand, Valve adjustments are very easy, but are required every 2500 miles. I have read that the valve adjustment on the Burgman 400 is very time consuming so you may want to look into that.
I've been on a Burgman 400 for about 4 years (2007 model) and have run up about 34,000 miles. I've never adjusted the valves yet.
Servicing has been incredibly easy so far - I'm only on the 2nd spark plug, mainly I change the oil & filter (pretty easy job) and get the bike shop to replace tyres. I did change the belt once, surprisingly easy with an air wrench. I've replaced rear brake pads (pretty easy) but am still on the original front pads.
My Burg 400 has been VERY reliable and has easily handled some long trips. I use it often as a city commuter and it does that job well too.

I have gone camping a few times:

TBH I load up with way more gear than I really need. It handles that gear & weight without any problem though and I haven't found gravel roads to be overly difficult to ride on.
MarkH67 is offline   Reply With Quote