Oddometer: 111
Day 5 Update
From Mug Shots

Day 5 Written by Missy
Today there was a long way to go.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

We started off early in the morning and stopped in Fort Nelson for breakfast. The waitress could not understand that Tracy wanted an omelet without eggs and cheese, so basically just sautéed vegetables (he is a vegan). The service was terrible and wow…. one of the worst stops on the trip. After breakfast, it was on the road again. The rest of the day was absolutely fabulous, compared to our morning fiasco. As we rode along today, we saw some spectacular animals that we had hoped to see on this ride. The first animal we came across was a big horned sheep.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

It was sitting on the mountain top, chewing his cud, and just watching us. As we rode along a mountain goat and her baby crossed the road in front of us. The little goat was so cute! Our first gas stop was a little down the road. I had seen a baby caribou but no one believed me. We went back and yes indeed it was a caribou. A real live caribou with thought antlers and everything. He was gorgeous.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

We stopped at Northern Rocky’s Lodge,
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

Jeff decided to have a “Tip Over” in the parking lot
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

Further down the road was our stop for the day.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

We stopped at the natural hot springs in a local campground. We got off our bikes and undressed into our bathing suits and jumped right into the hot spring. It was so fun.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

The water was 100 degrees and 107 right next to the output. They had done up the hot spring so it was pretty fancy (with my father, I was expecting and dirty hole in the ground with naked old men), but it turned out to be a great detour in our day. Very refreshing. So we suited back on up and hit the road again. We had passed bison signs earlier but hadn’t seen anything and were a little skeptical. After we left the hot springs, we immediately understood the herd signs that we had seen earlier. All over the road were tons on bison. Herds and herds of them grazing and doing their thang.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

They were in the middle of the road and after we had watched them awhile, we needed to get back on the road. I proceeded to honk the air horn on the motorcycle and the whole herd began to run across the street. It was a cool sight to see; the huge bison following each other and grazing together.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

As we rode along, we saw it! A grizzly and her two cubs were on the side of the road eating their grass and rolling around and playing.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

Silly Brian got off his bike and took pictures (we hassled him after for being stupe). It was something to see. I had hoped to see a grizzly last year on our trip but wasn’t that lucky. This was a dream of mine and I’m so glad that we saw the bears.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

We came to our motel; the Air force Hotel. This hotel was another down side to the ride. We were greeted by a chunky Nazi with a long gray ponytail who answered the door and barked at us to take off our shoes. We were not allowed to wear our shoes in the motel at all (even though the idiot was wearing his shoes as he explained this to us). They had group showers (boys and girls were separate) but still no shoes. Totally nasty! No shoes in the shower or the bathroom. Gross! The owner was crazy, his internet password was welovecanada. Just an interesting experience. And to make the night worse, Jeff and I went to the local laundry mat and did everyone’s laundry. Some locals came in to see who we were. They were totally wasted. The guy went over to Jeff and the girl came over to me and immediately grabs my hair and goes gaga over it. Creeped me out.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

The guy, Floyd, kept trying to get with me, but I could never understand what he was saying because of his lack of teeth (he had none at all). Good thing I had Jeff there to protect me. Thanks again Jeff! After we had cleaned the laundry and Jeff had fluffed and folded Brian’s underwear we rode back to the hotel. As we got there the owner was mad at us because it was quiet time, after 10:30. What a crazy day, with lots of good animals to see. More later.
From Mug Shots

Additional Comments from gpsKevin
From Arctic Wolf Day05

Jeff Howlin at the Sheep, they were not impressed, but wow can Jeff Howl, yes I said Howl, not whine.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

For you all that like detail, were is our ride map for the day:
From Arctic Wolf Day05

Tomorrow we will try to make it to the North Canol Trail

gpskevin screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 05:44 AM
gpskevin is offline   Reply With Quote