View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #813
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 584
I was chatting to a guy from HRC at the Motorcycle Live show (here in the UK) yesterday, he works on the Endurance Race team and claimed not to know "much about the Dakar" but actually turned out to be rather well informed!

They had a 450 Dakar, fully prepped with Helder's name on it and although it was clearly a promotional bike, the guy conirmed it was exactly the same as the genuine article as HRC don't build "PR Copies" as he put it.

My mate asked about the Leo Vince exhaust as the HRC road race bikes on the stand all wore Akro's.

Our guy explained that they wanted to run with Akropovics on the 450 but Honda wouldn't allow a factory bike to go the Akro factory "as they knew that even it didn't get sneaked out to Mattighoffen (not too far from Slovenia) for a few days, the KTM technicians would be down there in a flash to have a good look".

He also said that he didn't think they will be running Leo Vince's at the Dakar and said they were almost certainly replacing them with Termingonis for the race

Dunno if it's true or not (maybe they weren't happy with the Vince's at the Maroc?) but will be interesting to see.

He let us inside the barrier to have a good look and I took some pictures (sorry about the quality, autofocus wasn't playing ball)...

Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote