View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #47
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have no idea why anyone would buy a BMW GSA. A KLR650 is all the bike anyone actually needs. I'm also debt free except for a small mortgage, I bought a small fixer upper 2 bedroom about 22 years ago and fixed it up. It has a 2 car garage (full of bikes) I refinanced it right after Bush invaded Iraq. I have less than 5 years to go on it, at $523 a month, taxes and insurance included. My EX wife's sister and brother in law owe nearly $2000 a month on a fairly new 30 year mortgage. I don't think I could live with that kind of debt.

I am so tempted to get a KLR ('09 or later) but I'm not sure what I would do with it. I have over $3K into a heavily modded XT225, and it works fine for everything but long trips. I have a Vulcan 750 and a Goldwing 1500 for long highway trips, and don't see myself doing any long distance off road trips anymore.
I went from a 2006 KLR with a Cogent rear shock, Yamaha Forks and the other customary farkles (have the doo, haven't done it yet) to a 2004 R1150 GSA. Didn't go in debt getting it.

The two are worlds apart. My oldest has gotten into riding with me (about to turn 10) and the KLR while alright for me, was NOT a two-up machine. And now the wife is into riding (soon we'll get her taken care of with her own bike) so the KLR was really out of the picture.

I don't understand your lack of understanding.

I love my KLR, great explorer rig, with all the farkles it is very capable (more then my skills) and fun solo rig. But when I go to Maine, New Brunswick, Labrador, and eventually Alaska, the BMW is so much more. I am not as tired after a long day, I can take the interstate to cut back on time (leaving me more time to explore), and it is really a great bike.

Closer to home though, the KLR is a better long weekend machine.

Apples to oranges.

Keep your eyes open, save your pennies, and you don't have to go broke buying a machine.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote