View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #14
jjahp
Vertikal 1

Oddometer: 213
I've done this many times...great for spring skiing. Have TT boxes and no rear seat on the GS so I use an carpeted car mat and wrap around the binding/contact point on the bike and just bungee poles and skis to the cargo loops on the boxes...secure and is quick release. Boots and ski gear backpack fits in the panniers. I ski 190cm skis so they stick out a bit so you need to be mindful of the added width. Have not experienced any high wind with this set up (wouldnt be a good day for skiing anyway) but generally the extra foot that sticks out on either side shouldn't, in my mind, have any significant adverse effect. Im only travelling approx 20 miles each way but depending on how long your trip will be, I would probably take the extra step of slipping some cloth/paper whatever between the ski surfaces and contact points with the poles and if you dont have a ski bag, bubble wrap, create a makeshift handle on the bundle and tape it good. Just unbungee and lift off. Building removable ski rack where the skis mount vertically off the back is in the works this winter.

'86 R80
'99 R 1100 GS
'10 F800GS
jjahp is online now   Reply With Quote