View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #34
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by robberst View Post
I checked my intake cam sprocket. There is no "A" stamped.

I'm waffling about using the glyptal now. Some say its great some say it's just something to peel and plug oil ways.

I'm always waffling though. I seem to have motorcycle ADD. I can't seem to focus on one thing at a time. Around 2004 I got frustrated with commuting on an old bike and the constant fiddling to keep it running, and bought a Suzuki DL650 V-strom to commute The last two years it has been as troublesome as an old bike, but without the cool factor. It needs an engine overhaul. A 2000 Moto Guzzi V11 has come up for sale in my area, perhaps that would be a good commuter. Probably I need to follow Thoreau and simplify.

The same thing happened to me. I bought a brand new Aprilia Caponord so I'd have a modern bike for long trips and commuting.
Worked out great for the first three years, then one by one, the various problems they talked about on the Aprilia Forum started happening to mine.
A long list, mostly electrical problems related to flakey connectors, and a few weak components.
The only thing good is that the V-twin Rotax engine is reputed to be nearly indestructible, and it shows no sign of problems, but due to various electrical issues, cost/availability of some replacement parts, it's probably spent more time sitting unusable than any other bike I've owned, and that includes my Royal Enfield and a BSA. Compared to my airhead BMW's the record has been awful.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote