View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
MissOrganized OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
The basics of the trip

We leave this coming Sunday, December 9th to begin our six week adventure. We will be riding from Santiago, Chile south to Tierra del Fuego (we expect a highlight road to be highway 7), then north up to east coast to Buenos Aires, Argentina and then straight west back to Santiago, Chile.

There are three of us on this trip. My husband and I each ride DR650s and our friend is on a DRZ400. We haven’t made specific plans for how far to ride each day or exactly where we’ll stop to sleep. We’ve packed camping gear and expect to use a combination of campsites and hotels as we can find them. If anyone has recommendations, we’d be glad to hear them.
Just the planning of this trip has been quite the adventure. We live in Seattle, Wash. but found that the best way to get the bikes to Santiago is air ship them on Air Canada out of Vancouver, British Columbia. We will be shipping them home using the RORO boat option from Santiago back to the Port of Seattle. It is more expensive to ship via air but the confidence that the bikes will arrive the day we want them made up for the extra cost.

All that’s left now is for us to pack up our panniers and top cases, finish up one last week of work, and get on the plane!
I have one item I still need to purchase. I’m the girl on the trip. I decided that I get to bring one luxury item with me to make sure everyone knows that I’m a girl beneath all the motorcycle gear –so I am going to purchase a bright shade of lipstick and wear it constantly. Jurry is still out on if it makes me look feminine or more like a clown. :)

There is so much more I can talk about when it comes to trip planning but don't want to just go on and on unless someone is interested. If anyone wants to know about the following, pipe-up and I'll write up what I've figured out:
  • Bike Insurance, Emergency Medical Insurance,the perfect FirstAid Kit, crating the bikes for shipping, the packing list, Farkles, getting time off work (ha!), communicators, bike gear for women, plans for communicating with family while on the trip, crossing the canadian border with the bikes on a trailer

MissOrganized screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 10:53 AM
MissOrganized is offline   Reply With Quote