View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #56
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
Interesting mix of fact and fiction in this thread!

Dunno 'bout the Husky but the LC4 is good for about 120,000km before major maintenance. Top end likes a freshen up at half that, but it's still double the 20,000 mile mark.

If you've got enough engine oil to stop it seizing after burning it all, or enough spare shocks because they keep blowing, or the doohickey stays put, or...

To the OP; the KLR engine as has been pointed out doesn't suck that bad compared to similar Jap machinery. But the reason they all suck in HP compared to the KTM LC4 is that the LC4 has all of the previously suggested mods and more - except big-bore kit - done ex-factory. Big valves, ported head, high compression ratio (11.5:1), high rev ceiling, cam profiles/timing, and smaller alternator and one less balance shaft to reduce parasitic losses. I'm "reserving my judgement" on which style is better.
My klr never burnt anymore oil than any other bike I owned. Shock was fine even loaded. And the doo was fine as well. Your talking about the old Gen. Mine was bulletproof. Still is, I'm friends with the person who owns it now.

I'm hunting down a blue 2012 this spring I like the bike so much. I love the klr for the riding here. Nope, its not a euro trash bike, but its a tractor, that will motor through everything and not have crazy maintenance costs, or have parts that cost an arm and a leg. If something does happen to it, its nothing serious.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2