View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #35
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Oddometer: 112
Update Day7 Canol Road

From Mug Shots

Tracy Update Day7,
We woke up to cloudy skies and cool. Everyone slept great! For the first time during the trip Missy beat Brian to bed. The time of slumber for Missy was 8:00 P.M. Although, Brian did not get the first to bed award this night he still is the reigning champ. Six nights in a row. He was however only 5 minutes behind her for his slumber. The fire we encountered had laid down due to high humidity and no wind. Steve started another great camp fire and we cooked breakfast. We were lucky to find an improvised “Out house” . Excitement soon wore off as we quickly discovered the “Out House” was a front for a mosquito ambush zone.
From Arctic Wolf Day06

We did our best to defend our exposed derriere but, we were outnumbered and massacred. Now we are counting the butt bites to see who gets to carry the calamine lotion. Currently, we have a three way tie between Missy, Jeffery, and Brian. As we started the days ride, the skies shed its tears and watered the road for us, so no dust! What a benefit. As we rode to roads end, we encountered a huge Grizzly Bear. The bear was more scared of us than we were of him. Good thing for the bear. Kevin keeps his bear spray at his side like a quick draw expert kinda like Dirty Harry.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

As he stared the bear down, he was herd saying “feeling lucky bear”. Saving the group and playing the encounter down, we started moving again. As we kept riding, we came across many junk yards of abandoned trucks that were left along the side of the road. Now part of the landscape of rust and moss.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

The trucks were left here at the start of WW II. Back on the gas and moving, we came across a large porcupine that took also, scampered into the landscape. As we crossed from the Yukon Territory to the Northwest Territory we were met by a washed out bridge and a fast deep flowing river.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

This stopped our continuance to roads end. Back tracking 33 miles we found a beautiful place to camp we a great vista of high peak with small glaciers abiding them. In the foreground, massive pastures of tundra grass.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Now we wait to see if the Moose and Caribou will come down to graze. Tonight will be our best opportunity to see Wolfs, if at all. Enroute to our camp site we found a bag in the road with two cans of Bear Spray in it. One was empty the other had spray to give. Dirty Harry with the found can of 44 magnum spray proceeded to show why it was the most powerful bear spray can in the world capable of stinging a Grizzly’s eyes for at least 10 seconds. We all just watched with amazing excitement as Missy showed us her skills.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

At this point we are all nervous. Then half the group are heading down to the river that flows past the meadows. Don’t, worry, Moms, Wife’s and Boyfriends, they took their trusty can of “Bear Spray” the only problem is that they left Kevin (Dirty Harry) behind. I can only hope that Jeff and Brian don’t get too excited about a bear encounter and end up spraying each other.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Sunset tonight is 11:53 P.M. with sunrise at 3:34 A.M. Looks like another long night. We hope all of our family and friends are safe and well. We are having the adventure of a lifetime and wish all of you were here to enjoy it…

From Mug Shots

Steve Update Day7
Hello all,
We are almost 1200 miles and seven days into this wonderful experience. Presently camped along the Canol Road, out of Ross River Yukon.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Wish I could show you a pic of our great camp spot.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

We are over looking the Macmillen River and the snow capped Rocky Mountains-just beautiful! Big camp fire going!
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Missy, Kevin, & myself are watching the boys cook up gourmet camp food. Of course Kevin did his Tom Sawyer thing to get the boys all pumped up and do this deed-dinner served in 30 minutes.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

Day 8 is only about 150 miles and will take us to just our 2nd night lodging-showers will feel great! We are all holding up good-bikes are also working perfect. Lots of mosquitos in this part of the world!
Hope is well at home. We all talk about family while sitting around the campfire, especially Jeffrey! He sure misses his mommy!
On with the adventure-Steve in Blue-Loving the PP- Mighty 690-Hi Dana

From Mug Shots

Missy Update Day 7
This morning we woke to an easy day of riding. We were going to take the Canol Road as far as we could go. In doing the research on this portion of the ride, there was not much to be found. The last time someone had taken this road was a KLR in 1997 who had had lots of problems with washouts and broken bridges. Our hope was that we would make it to the Mackenzie Pass and see the beautiful landscape on the way. We headed out and the road was unbelievable.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

Canada has done a great job maintaining the landscape and the territory was gorgeous. As we rode through the wonderful forests and mountains, a grizzly ran out in front of my dad. He pulled over to tell me and so we slowly maneuvered on ahead. The bear was scared and doubled back across the road. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen. He was HUGE! As big as Kevin on the motorcycle. Bigger than what you imagine them to be. He was so fat, as he ran his whole body convulsed because of the weight he was carrying. It was amazing and I was so excited. I began to lead the pack and we came across another porcupine. This one I was lucky enough to see. He was waddling on the side of the road, and as soon as we pulled up he scurried into the bushes. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a porcupine in real life either. He was pretty cute waddling along like he did. We rode along and came to an abandoned house.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

We stopped there and had another hot lunch. It was cold and a little rainy, so it was nice to get off the bikes and warm up. After lunch we had about 15 miles to the Mackenzie Pass. So far so good. We headed on and made it through the pass. Not long after we came to the sign of yet another border. We had officially passed through the Yukon and were entering the Northwest Territories.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

That was a very impressive sign to see. We rode along a little further and our journey down the Canol Road ended with a washed out bridge that had never been repaired. We took pictures and contemplated swimming across the flowing river with our bikes to ride further. We decided that was probably not smart.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

We headed back to the Northwest Territory border and took pictures with the big sign. A pretty cool accomplishment I’d say. As our trail had come to an end, it was time to turn around and head to find a suitable camp for the night.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Tracy had seen a great camp and led the way to our destination. It was a different abandoned old house that we were to spend the night at. All the firewood we would need. Level tent pitching areas. An outhouse filled with mosquitoes. And a great picnic table for cooking dinner. What more could you ask for? We all unloaded our bikes and the boys started appetizers. They made corn meal patties with spices, and potatoes in the fire. It was great. We all chipped in and had a potluck dinner. I had run out of clean drinking water at lunch, so my father loaned me an extra bottle he had. Unknowingly, I used this “water” to cook my macaroni. The noodles tasted a little sweeter than normal but I had thought that was because it was a new kind of macaroni I was trying. Later Jeffrey pointed out to me, my father had accidently purchased lemon flavored water instead of regular water, and that was why my food tasted so sweet. Silly me. But it was funny! Steve made another big fire, better than the previous nights. It was fabulous.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Chuck and Larry cooked dinner together as Jeffrey and Kevin fought over how the meal should be cooked. On the road earlier, we had come across a bag that someone must have dropped. It contained two bottles of extra bear spray. We decided to try them out and see what we would have to do if we actually came across a bear. It was crazy how far those things shot. We were very safe and no bears were hurt in the testing of this spray. These boys are so fun to be around. I am having the time of my life. We all oood and awwwd over the spectacular landscape.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Words cannot explain the beauty of this place. It is phenomenal. What a great night! More tomorrow as we head for Faro.

From Mug Shots

Canol Road: from gpsKevin
From Ross River north to the Northwest Territories the road is maintained and in good condition, but once you enter the Northwest Territories the road is no longer maintained, the first bridge is washed out and the stream/river can be bad. So if you are really going to ride further, come with small bikes and be prepared to get wet. I am sure that this road will be one of the highlights of our trip
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

Map from day 7, we turned around at Bridge Out