View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #175
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Well we managed to get to the Chile border where I again had to go to the corner store to buy my gas,

waiting to get my gas

headed off down the road expecting to see some changes in the countryside or at least the road----nope---

as someone on advrider said the adventure really starts when the going gets tough

finally rolled into the town of Calama, my friend Lenny who made the trip last year warned me to expect culture shock when I finally arrived in Chile, man he wasn't kidding, pulled into town and into the gas station I must have stood there for 5 minutes with my mouth hanging open, it was just like we had arrived in Europe somewhere. The difference between Chile and the rest of South America (what I've seen so far) is extreme

not many pictures until a little later I'm afraid

went to San Pedro de Aticama to see what was there, a hot,sleepy little tourist town much too expensive to stay in

so off to Antofagasta and a glimpse of the ocean while sitting in a waterside cafe sipping delicious coffee

this is where we finally found a power wash to get the salt off the bikes from the Salar de Uyuni (plus 4 months accumulation of dirt grease and oil)

work, work, work

there be a lot more pictures of Chile coming up, I promise
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote