View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #530
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 275
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
so living in England for the early part of my life i know about rain...if its not raining just wait 15 minutes

but down in central america and parts of south america there are definite rainy seasons, i did a quick video riding on the Ruta Americana (pan american highway) the other day, it was so heavy i rode into a bus stop, nice of them to make them so big here in Panama. Generally its about 10-15 minutes of real heavy rain and then you continue and normally its around 10-11am and again around 2-4pm
Interestingly, that reminds me of my first motorcycle trip into Louisiana. I was headed into NOLA on I-10 in mid-afternoon in July, and there were some VERY ominous, dark clouds ahead. As I was passing Slidell, I opted to pull over and get the rain gear on. At this time, there were several motorcycles whizzing by, all with virtually no gear, and all looking at me like I'm a moron. I get back on the road all zipped up tight, and within two miles, it's a torrential downpour. I mean, I haven't seen rain like that in many years. So, I slow down, get in a slower lane, but I'm dry on the inside and have Rain-X on the visor, so I push on. At the next overpass, there's a crush of bikes trying to find cover. Now who's a moron?!?

Now, there were a few times I was worried about hydroplaning, but it stayed pretty smooth, so I rode through it. By the time I got to NOLA, a mere ten miles away, it was all rained out. Good times!!

Hope you're having fun down there!!

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote