View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #132
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokos79 View Post
Yeap, the UAE, the only place in the world where you have to look in your mirrors more than you look ahead...

Need some advice , too.

I am now moving from Dubai to Salalah, Oman. I don't want to sell the bike , so I'll go the export/import route. My only question is whether the trip from Dubai to Salalah is doable, enough petrol stations along the route, places to spend the night half way, etc.

The bike is a R1150GS '02, so I need petrol stations to be shorter than around 180 miles apart...
Beautiful place, Salalah but its one hell of a 1000+km boring ride to there from AbuDhabi/Dubai. We just did it during the Eid holidays.

Just turn right once you reach Ibri after crossing the border at Al-Ain and its a straight road to Salalah. The 200km stretch after Ibri, going towards Ghabha (sp?) has no gas stations so, fill up at Ibri without fail.

There are rest houses (decently equipped, clean) on the way at major towns.

The risk i see is not that of gas stations being farther than your bike's tank range but, one of the gas stations being closed / out of gas - which happened on our road trip in the 4x4 but we were carrying 30ltrs of extra gas just for this reason.

It is highly recommended to pick up a 200-250Dhs rotopax fuel can (holds 10ltrs i believe) or a simple 50Dhs fuel can from ACE and strap it on to your bike. Most 4x4 accessory shops including AEV carry the Rotopax.

Sand storms can and do blow sometimes. I always carry a a buff which i use to cover up my mouth/nose in such situations when there is nowhere to hide (which is most of the route).

cheers and good luck

Vicks screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 08:04 PM
Vicks is online now   Reply With Quote