View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #133
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Nov 24 Last day in Honduras

Rode over to the coast today and stopped in Choluteca so I will be fairly close to the Nicaraguan border to cross it first thing tomorrow.

Beautiful country and really nice highway. Good condition with almost no potholes which surprised me after the warnings from both of the Aduana people I had talked to when I entered Honduras. Really rugged mountains interspersed with very productive valleys. They seem to have a number of larger farms that are fairly sophisticated.

Still a lot of small mountainside farms. This gives a good idea of the steepness of many of these small farms. I have seen mountainsides like this farmed everywhere from Mexico on. This is all hand work and must be very tedious.

Lots of roadside markets many times with one or two types of fruit piled up

Amazing the number of people selling these ceramic vases and figurines.

The orange sellers were interesting. They would each have a number of these lines of bags of oranges and the effect was a never ending stream of oranges. I wonder how often a bunch of these got run over?

Was making pretty good time through Tegucigalpa, the main city in Honduras and all of a sudden the traffic stopped. It was a massive traffic jam in the afternoon when people were going home. Motos seem to have a bit of latitude in Latin American countries and just kind of make your way up. I figured this traffic jam added an hour to my travel time but it would have been at least two hours if I had waited with the other traffic

Arrived at the first hotel I had identified in Choluteca they wanted 1400 Lempiras after paying 120 last night, 1400 just sounded like a lot of money. Finally found the Paradise Hotel 700 L ($28), good wifi, good parking and screaming hot water.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote