View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #17
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
If the bike runs well, I don't understand why it has a bent crank. Without taking the engine apart, I'm not even sure how you diagnose a bent crank.
my guess is the stator end of the crank some wobble. can't be very much or it would be blowing seals and possibly vibrating - this could also be why the stator is not working... or it could be a spun crank, but you'd feel that one too.. it's all speculation without seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp115
Just to be clear: the $2K is for the entire motor rebuild: new crank, rods, bearings, pistons, seals, re-bore, the stator, etc. Also pulling it from the frame and re-installing it.
you can pull that motor in under an hour. remove tank, exhaust, carbs, unplug stator and pull the motor mounts. it's not rocket science.

someone with experience could pull it, rebuild it, and reinstall it in under 4 hours labor. of course there's some time involved redoing the crank and reboring, but those are flat rate jobs. if the motor was running, there's probably nothing wrong with the stator. might need charge coil replaced or maybe some other part of the charging system has an issue? most guys flat rate the whole deal, because they're faster than shop rate at rebuilding, and the uninitiated think it's some massive undertaking that takes serious time (which it doesn't).
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote