View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #37
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Oddometer: 111
Day 8 KAWASAKI DOWN

From Mug Shots

Day 8 KAWASAKI DOWN
Today we woke up to a gorgeous view of the Rocky Mountains and the forests that lie below. It was absolutely breathtaking.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

Everyone packed up and we were back on the road to Ross River and our final destination of Faro. Everything is beautiful and the country is way better than I could have ever expected.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

As we are riding along, Tracy’s chain falls off and needs a quick tightening. Easy solution and back on the road to do a proper fix up at the house we are staying in tonight. Traveling down the road again, my dad and I see another very large grizzly run across the road. It is amazing how big those animals can get. We make it to the ferry crossing just in time for the last ferry before an hour lunch break. Jeff and Brian are behind and as the ferry starts to leave they show up. The guy was nice enough to pull back up so they could catch a ride with us.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

Another experience at the Ross River gas station, and then a grocery store run at the local convenience store (Jeff and Brain push around a cart for their groceries. Brian pushes the cart as Jeff gets a ride in the cart. Those two….hahah). After we had stocked up on the needed food for the next three days, we headed over to Elvis’s Graceland II as promised.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

What an experience….ahahha! He showed us his artwork which was absolutely terrible. It was colored stucco that he had basically splattered all over Graceland II. It was a mess and looked foul. Not to mention the horrifying stench that appeared once you entered the home. That was a funny experience. We got group pictures outside Graceland II but Elvis would not be a part of our fun due to his lack of costume at that current time. Big Jim and Elvis were taking our pictures and we were being really funny (what’s new?). On the road again, just can’t wait to get on the road again, going places where I’ve never been… oh wait….the story (haha); just about an hour drive to Faro. On the way we encounter another bike problem, this one a bit more serious. Jeffrey’s bike suddenly comes to a screeching halt and will no longer start.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

The group consensus is to tow him to the house and pull it apart there to see what the issue is. We eventually come to Faro and arrive at our stay for the night. It is a beautiful three story home with a game room, tv and endless DVD’s, and a warm shower. This will be a great night.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

Outside the story is not so great. Jeffrey begins to pull apart the bike and low and behold, a balancer has broken off and is stuck in the head (most of you probably don’t know what that means….well I don’t really know what that means, they just told me that’s what happened). This is a really bad sign; the bike is totaled.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

Jeffrey and the rest of the boys are currently discussing options as to what he is going to do, while I write to tell the tale. Send good wishes to Jeffrey, hopefully he gets to continue on. I am leaving now to go out and hear the plan. It’s not looking promising for Jeffrey. He will probably have to be sent home and not be able to finish the ride. I’ll keep you updated as the plans unfold.
From Mug Shots

Day 8 Update from Kevin

Wow this is bad, the Kawasaki KLR650 has broken the advance weight off the end of the cam, it got wedged under the cam, then forced the cam up out of its bearings breaking the bearing cap and sending the pieces out the top of the motor
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

There will be no fix for this bike without a complete new head. WOW
There will be no fixing it here in Faro. The nearest next place is Whitehorse 200 miles away. The local owner of the house we are staying in said that we might catch the delivery truck driver in 2 days and ask if we could put the bike in his truck for his return trip to Whitehorse. Wow Wow way bad news for us, this could end our trip. We bought this bike just for this ride because it seemed to have a reputation of being reliable. Maybe some new ideas will come to us as we sleep tonight.
Evening at the house now has kind of a somber note. But we asked the owner if she could find us some moose sausage, and 15 minutes later she brought us a bunch, so it was a bar-b-que and a bit to drink, maybe it was a bit too much or just out attitude, because missy then talked all the men into Face Packs, yes really!
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

Maybe she knew what she was doing, because it was good to put a smile back on our faces.
At the end of the day she introduced us the the Chubby Bunny game. Wow now we are out of control.

Wish us good dreams as we try to dream up a solution to this mess

Anyone got any good advise for us? We need Kawasaki help.

From Arctic Wolf Day08

gpskevin screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 07:54 AM
gpskevin is offline   Reply With Quote