View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
I grabbed this one evening while it was still free.

You bastard! I got sucked in, had to finish it and didn't get to sleep until 2am.

Nice going, and thanks!
Glad to have kept you up most of the night. Just in case you end up reading books two and three - they are considerably longer (50% or thereabouts) so don't start reading after dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemd View Post
Is it anything like "Down and Out in Paris and London"?
Haven't read that one, but I quickly Googled it just now. Nope. If I had to make a comparison, I would say that it is like Hunger (Knut Hamsun) meets Midnight Express. Then again, I'm not objective, I wrote it.

In short:
Book one is sort of a psychological drama mixed with the struggle to remain dignified in an undignified world, make the best of the circumstances, and get atop a soapbox every now and then. It takes place in Barcelona.
Book two takes place in Ibiza, and continues the theme, with a little romance thrown in. Of course, there are obstacles, and not the foreseen ones.
Book three starts in Ibiza, continues through France, Italy, and Austria, making a return back to Ibiza, then ending full circle where it all started - Barcelona. It is more picturesque (due to the scenery), struggles with the previous issues as well as some new ones, gets more philosophical, yet continues on the psychological drama aspect.

Yes, I know - the most horrible sales pitch ever written. But I don't want to give anything up.

Unlike the book you mentioned above, this one is not an autobiographical travelogue.

I'll shut up now and let someone who read it chime in with their own interpretations / impressions. There were plenty of free downloads for someone else to chime in. Hopefully, they won't disclose the plot too much.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote