Thread: New guy here!!
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
Vandal 62 OP
KCCO

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
The 800 suspension is plush compared to the KLR. I think it is plenty good for most people and their riding styles. The problem all suspensions have is they are designed for "average weight" riders. They might need upgrade if you are really heavy, ride with a passenger, or heavy loads. You might also need an upgrade if you are riding the bike like you think it is a supercross bike.

The front end will dive if you brake really hard on pavement. Stiffer springs will ride rougher off road. There are trade offs.

I think most people upgrade their suspension because they read about others doing it and think that it will make them a better rider. After spending big bucks on new suspension people are going to brag about how much it helps rather than say they wasted money. I've upgraded suspension on bikes because of failure of OEM parts. It did improve the ride, but not worth the price of replacing OEM that didn't have a problem. It is kind of like people putting on after market exhaust and bragging about how much power they gained when dyno testing show very modest gains if any.
Well said. When I was riding sport bikes there was a lot of 'I need this' 'this bit is the tits' 'need more power' on already 150+ superbikes. A quick glance at a punters back tire told the story. Inch wide chicken strips. Most people cannot squeeze the performance out of a stock bike. I have seen guys riding slicks on the street thinking they stick not knowing that you need to generate heat in order for them to work, that heat only comes from the track.

Well said, I have found myself being sucked into the "are they really WP forks?" "well it was friday when they made them and my cousin Jimmy's wife's friend works at WP factory and they used a different oil, from banglesh so blah blah blah"

Don't care.....I just don't want to splash the cash for a sweet bike then find myself on the internoggin looking to upgrade forks. Thats for KLR guys. I'm torn between the 990 and the 800GS.

FML, first world problems eh...lol.
Vandal 62 is offline   Reply With Quote