Joined: May 2006
Location: out in the clover patch
Some quick research shows that it was actually originally named Mariposa Mill and the bridge is over Leepers Creek that flows down into Dutchman's.
copy n paste:
The Mariposa Road Bridge is situated on State Road 1734 (Old Mariposa Road) over Leeper’s Creek, 500 feet north of the junction of State Road 1412, in the former Mariposa Community in southeastern Lincoln County, North Carolina. The remains of the Mariposa Mill, later Alba Mill, are located 250 feet southeast of the bridge, and the remains of the Mariposa Mill village are no longer extant. The Mariposa Road Bridge has been closed to vehicular traffic since 1979, and the North Carolina Department of Transportation donated the bridge in 1995 to the Lincoln County Historical Association who, subsequently, donated it to the Lincoln County Historic Properties Commission. NC DOT documented the bridge in 1979 to satisfy a Memorandum of Agreement during the mitigation process as the bridge was slated for demolition. A modern bridge, built in 1979, is located to the south of the Mariposa Road Bridge on Leepers Creek’s downstream alignment.
The Mariposa Road Bridge is a one lane, three-span, steel pin-connected Pratt thru truss bridge that maintains an overall span of 181 feet. The main span measures 120 feet and is flanked by steel stringer approach spans measuring thirty-five feet and twenty-five feet in length. The bridge’s truss includes eye bar tension members (lower chords and diagonals) and riveted built-up compression members (upper chords, verticals, inclined end posts) of steel sections of channels and angles with battens, and cover plates or lacings. The bridge is composed of A-frame portals of angles and back-to-back angles that make up the upper lateral struts. The bridge’s floor was constructed with rolled floorbeams that stand suspended by U-shaped hangers from lower chord pins. All of the bridge’s original components remain intact, with the exception of the original railings. Contemporary beam guide rails, added in 1976, are attached to the truss’s roadway faces and are braced by transverse beams underneath the bridge’s decking. Currently, the bridge boasts a paved asphalt floor. Lichtenstein Consulting Engineers, Inc. conducted a Historic Bridge Inventory Report for the North Carolina Department of Transportation June of 2003, and identified thirty-four Pratt truss bridges dating from 1891 to 1954, including twenty pony trusses, in North Carolina.
George Fore inventoried the Mariposa Road Bridge in 1939 for the Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, and Paul Hawke, Historian for the National Park Service’s Southeast Region, edited the report for the Historic American Engineering Record in 1986. The report outlines the bridge’s significance as the earliest example to exhibit rolled sections in its truss system. Additionally, the editor explains that the bridge contains boltedOwego Bridge Company Although inaccurately described as being in the Laboratory vicinity of Lincoln County, the documentary photographs clearly show the
Captain Joseph Graham Morrison began production at the Mariposa mill in 1902, and assigned it the name “Mariposa” after a visit to Mariposa, California when he decided it was an appropriate name for his textile venture. Captain Morrison was a brother of Anna Morrison who married Thomas Johnathan “Stonewall” Jackson in Lincoln County on July 16, 1857. The Mariposa Cotton Mills was incorporated on September 19, 1911 to “manufacture yarns, cloths of all kinds, and textile fabrics from cotton, wool, silk, flax, hemp or other fibre.” The stockholders included A.D. Morrison of Atlanta, Georgia; Mrs. Jennie Morrison of Stanley, NC; Mrs. Mary G. Raynall of Statesville, NC; Mrs. Anna Wilson and Ronald Wilson of Brevard, NC; and Robert H. Morrison and J.G. Morrison of Stanley, NC. Joseph G. Morrison secured the machinery for Mariposa Mill from the Mountain Island Mill in Gaston County, North Carolina. Members of the Mariposa Mill Village utilized the bridge during the height of the mill’s production.
The Owego Bridge Company of New York, New York erected the Mariposa Road Bridge 1912 over Leepers Creek in eastern Lincoln County. Leepers Creek flows through northeastern Lincoln County and is formed by the junction of Sawmill and Lippard creeks, travels in a southeastern course into Gaston County where it meets Killians to from Dutchmans Creek. The Owego Bridge Company was established in New York during the last decade of the nineteenth century, and specialized in truss highway bridges. They fabricated truss highway bridges throughout the eastern United States, but concentrated most of their business in New York and neighboring states. The company extended their business into the southern United States before their discontinued their business in 1917.
The Mariposa Road Bridge possesses special architectural and engineering significance in terms of Lincolnton, Lincoln County, and North Carolina and meets the following criterion of the National Register of Historic Places: CRITERION A: The Mariposa Road Bridge is a unique remnant of an earliest twentieth century bridge type that was prevalent in the United States from the 1890s to the first decade of the twentieth century; CRITERION C 1) The Mariposa Road Bridge has local significance as the only remaining Pratt thru truss bridge that survives in Lincolnton and Lincoln County, and is the earliest extant bridge in Lincoln County; 2) The Owego Bridge Company of New York, New York, fabricator of the Mariposa Road Bridge, was a prolific builder of standard truss and girder-floorbeam bridges in the eastern United States for the highway and railroad markets from the early 1890s to 1917.
 Lichtenstein Consulting Engineers, Inc. “Historic Bridge Inventory Report,” North Carolina Department of Transportation, 2003.
 Echoes and Shadows of Two Centuries, 384.
 William L. Sherrill, Annals of Lincoln County (Charlotte: N.C.: The Observer Printing House, 1937), 161.
 Articles of Incorporations, Mariposa Cotton Mills, Inc., 19 September 1911, Book 1, Pages 191-194.
 Letter, Judith McSwain to Jason L. Harpe, 26 October 2007. McSwain has furnished the Lincoln County Historical Association with photographs of the Mariposa Road Bridge, Mariposa Mill and village, and copies of the mill’s time books from the years 1922-23, and 1929. She is a descendant of various men and women that worked in the Mariposa Mill and lived in the mill village.
 William S. Powell, The North Carolina Gazetteer: A Dictionary of Tar Heel Places (Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 1968), 277.
 Lichtenstein Consulting Engineers, Inc. “Historic Bridge Inventory Report.”