View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #115
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer
 
Rugby4life's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Upstate SC (GSP area)
Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't believe Yamaha still makes the Majesty. I tried both the Majesty and 400 Burg, and found the Burger to be a bit more comfortable and controllable in tight spots, due to the too wide floorboards on the Majesty. Problem was, even with their small cc engines, neither one was really an improvement over my 1500 Goldwing. I was wanting to get rid of the 'Wing because I have severe arthritis and am afraid I may drop it in a parking lot or at a stoplight sometime. But none of the maxis felt any more secure in those situations either. I never got a chance to try out any of the maxis on the open road, which I'm assuming they would be at their best. The Majesty does have a valve adjustment interval of 25,000 miles, with no check required after break in. But according to the Majesty forums, you have to pull the engine out to get to the valves, about $600 at a dealer. 25,000 miles would be about 2 years for me. I don't know about the Burg, but if that is what you want, then I would definitely go for it. Definitely a good idea to be riding what you like, if you can afford it.
I bought a Majesty a couple of years ago as a daily commuter partly because of the huge under-seat storage. I enjoyed the adventure of figuring out all the things it could do well that I never thought were possible (hint, put on a set of Pirelli Diablos as soon as you get it). I just bought one of the new BMW scooters and man am I impressed. If maxi scooters keep evolving and improving the breed, I can't see why 90% of my riding desires couldn't be satisfied by it. A Ducati Hypermotard would take care of the other 10% nicely... Christmas is coming hint, hint, hint
__________________
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."
Rugby4life is offline   Reply With Quote