View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #577
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 231
Question Tea kettle and Ubehebe Crater Mileage and Suggestions

I did not make a track to get an accurate mileage, and it will depend on the route ridden anyway. Best to plan for 150+. Most all of the loops in DV will require 150+ gas range so Noobs should plan ahead.

Any fastener that is worn will break. Any fastener that is not tight will fall off. Check all of the key fasteners. If worn, replace them. If not sure, replace them. For those that still are good, remove them and apply blue locktite on the threads when tightening them.

I highly suggest you check your clutch and throttle cables for wear. If not sure, replace them or carry spares.

Check your chain and sprockets. If worn, replace them. Adjust the chain.

Check your battery. If it is 2.5 years or older, it probably is on its last leg and should be replaced even if it tests OK.

I know many guys that ride well with Anakee type tires, but new or "fresh" knobbies are best.

A key thing to remember is your cell phone will not work. If you have a minor mechanical, you should be able to fix it well enough to continue your ride or get back to camp.

Here is a suggested list of stuff to carry on your bike:

1. A new tube (preferrably front and rear), tire irons, wrenches to remove axle nuts, and an air pump.
2. Assorted nuts, bolts and washers used most on your bike and basic hand tools to install them.
3. Zip ties and "rescue tape" or small roll of duct tape.
4. Spare clutch and brake levers, or adjust hand guards / barkbusters to protect your levers if you fall. Better to do both.
5. Epoxy that works on metal and plastic.
6. A good headlight from REI or similar. (Try fixing a flat, etc. after dark without one.)
7. A good Leatherman or Swiss Army knife.

Joel, volunteers and ride leaders do their best to assure all Noobs have a great experience. With a little preparation, Death Valley is a wonderful place to ride.

'06 Husky TE 610, '07 Triumph Tiger 1050, '93 ATK 605

jarthur screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 08:40 PM Reason: correction
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote