View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #16
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Yeah that would be economically unfeasible for the DIY guy. I googled DIY vacuum chambers and saw quite a few setups. I then followed something very similar to Ebrabaek's which many other people did as well. If you have your 2 stage vacuum pump you are already on your way. I went to goodwill and got a cheap pressure cooker pot and then I had to buy the 1 inch plexiglass online, found a -30 "Hg gauge and will source the brass fittings and tubing from homedepot. All and all I will have about $150 in the whole setup including the purchase of my vacuum pump which I bought off of ebay.

I am pretty excited because the biggest issue I have had so far is the bubbles! It isn't fun when you do a great layup, take your time and everything is going smoothly and when you pop it out of the mold there are 2-3 pock marks from a residual air bubble that expanded to epic proportions. I could get around this by just applying another layer over the top but that is a pain in the butt and requires a substantial amount of sanding.

runnin4melife screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 06:47 AM
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote