View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #38
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Oddometer: 112
Day 9, what to do with a broken bike

From Mug Shots

From gpsKevin
Ok the morning has arrived and there the dreaming of solutions has yielded nothing, so the only option we can come up with is to TOW the KLR brhind to Yamaha Tenere some 200+ miles to Whitehourse, wow what could go wrong with that idea. Well we are both skilled and we think we can do it. Once in Whitehourse maybe we can find someone to help fix the bike.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

And so we were up early and off we went, just the two of us, the rest of the group would continue on and we would try to join back up with them.
Towing was not too bad at first, we at times managed to get up to 60mph, then it happened. The thing I had wanted the most, a Wolf revealed himself to me. Yes that is right he ran right in front of me without even giving me a look. I knew this was a good sign, we would be all right.

From Mug Shots

From Missy Day 9
Because of the major troubles we encountered yesterday, Jeffrey and Kevin set off very early in search of a fix. They were headed to White Horse to see if they could rent a truck to drive to Inuvik. That way everyone would still be able to make the ride. So, they began the long tow journey of about 250 miles to White Horse. As for the rest of the group, me and the guys, we had a very relaxing and refreshing day. The house we stayed in had a big breakfast bar and we could make omelets, or whatever we desired. Our riding day was pretty short, so we decided to leave at 9am which was late for our other early starts. We leisurely rode from Faro to Carmacks.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

Jeff led the group today and after about an hour of riding, we had a nice break. At that point we realized some chain problems and had to fix those up before we continued.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

After our break and snacks it was on the road again. Our next stop was about an hour or so away, where we would get gas and fill up our bikes. We talked to some other riders at the gas station who had ridden from southern Florida. They were very nice. Down the road a little, we had passed a little hot dog stand sort of gig. We got back on the bikes and headed over to lunch there. They had a mess hall where we could eat lunch away from the bugs. It even had wireless Internet. Jeff and I got ice cream once we were done with lunch. It was maple walnut flavor and very delicious.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

Our stay for the night was at the Moose Lodge. We left lunch and were on our way to the camp ground. It was very gloomy and cold at this point and it started to rain. We came along another small coffee stand and we stopped to warm up and drink some hot coffee to prepare us for the finish of the day.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

We finally made it to the Moose Lodge. Tracy and Steve had a small cabin for the night. Jeff, Brian and I were deciding what to do. We asked the owner of the Moose Lodge if we could camp right out front of their cabin. Instead she gave us a much better deal. She offered us this covered area that she had, that would also keep the mosquitoes away. We took the deal because it was just perfect for our tents to be set up. It was great with a usable stove and hot showers. Just as we had figured out our sleeping arrangements, Jeffrey and Kevin pull up in a rental truck with great news. They were able to find a truck in White Horse, and leave the broken motorcycle behind. So, not only would they both be able to continue to Inuvik but they would also have room for some of the bags we had been carrying in the truck. What a great fix to such a huge problem. Brian coined a new name for Tracy and Steve; they are now the golden girls. It was a great night. Jeff, Brian and Jeffrey made dinner for Kevin and I cooked my own macaroni. Another night filled with jokes and laughs. This group fits so well together. We just get along so well together. More later as we start the Dempster Highway to Inuvik tomorrow.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Mug Shots

From Steve:
Now I need to address some truths about Day 9. Missy had her say about what went on at our Moose Camp Lodging. What do they say?” never let the truth interfere with a good story”! Truth is, our leader Kevin was not with us (in Whitehorse with Jeffrey & KLR) to direct the boys on where their camp area would be, this caused major problems for Jeff, Brian, & Missy. Here is the picture-it’s been raining on us all day, it’s cold. All of us walk into the lodge office-restaurant, dripping wet. A lady comes out of the kitchen and asked if she can help us, Chuck & Larry (this is what Missy & Jeffrey call Jeff & Brian. Their nicknames come from the Adam Sandler movie about the suito gay NY firefighters. Chuck asks where is the campground area? The lady responds with “we are not a campground, just cabins & a restaurant. Things started getting real tense-steam was coming off gortex-Kevin’s name was used in vain a few times. I had made a reservation few months back for a cabin and knew that the actual campground was about a mile down the road. Things really heated up with Miaja the owner came into the room and asked if there was a Steve in our group? I told her that was me. Maija said great! Your cabin is all ready, with the wood stove on and the goose down comforters ready. And then she said” Prime Rib tonight”, kitchen closes down in an hour, so hurry with your showers. Now Chuck, Larry, Missy are really spinning! They ask Maija if they could pitch their tents next to our cabin? Maija says OK, but feeling for the wet boys, she offers up a large partially enclosed gazebo for their use. The boys jump all over this, and it even has a kitchen attached. All worked great for groups. Tracy & I even picked up the tap for our gazebo dwellers. My goose down comforter was actually too hot-the chocolate on the pillow was outstanding.

From Arctic Wolf Day09

gpskevin screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 06:14 PM
gpskevin is offline   Reply With Quote