View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #22
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,587
Look, if JVB has success with his procedure, I wanna know about it.

Here's what I do when I remove my OHV gaskets. I use a paper towel to clean them and dry them of oil using care not to damage the mounting tabs . Then, I use another paper towel to wipe clean the mating surfaces on the OHV cover and cylinder head. I examine the donut for damage and re-seat it correctly on the OHV cover spark plug gallery.

Next, I check the valve mufflers to insure they are fixed correctly to their respective mountings. (How many of you even re-install these things under your OHV covers?)

Then, I hang the gasket carefully on the alignment stubs and fit the OHV cover straight onto the cylinder head. Don't cock the OHV cover. That's how the donut gets off center and eventually leaks.

I snug (careful here...snug only...no torque wrench needed...like you're bottoming a screw into soft wood) the 4 OHV cover bolts beginning at the bottom working up to the top.

No runs, no hits, no errors and no leaks. Oh, and by the way, I use synthetic engine oil which reputedly causes oil leaks.
def is offline   Reply With Quote