View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #71
Scott_PDX OP
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,704
Day 8 –Saturday , July 29, 2012 –Shit Meadow, UT to Bradfield, Campground, CO[/B]

Even though John is the official early riser of the group. I managed to crawl out of my tent relatively early. The sky was overcast from the previous nights rain, and the air was “crisp”. I took a little “Constitution” walk/stretch and spooked some deer in the process.

Morning

Oh deer

The view from the La Sal mountains doesn't look good. There are rain clouds all around us, but after warming up near the fire, we set out.

Looking back toward the mountains where we spent the night.

After spying some sunshine, we take a minute to appreciate how lucky we are to be doing this.

We fill up in the town of La Sal, then roll on down the UTBDR heading for the dark clouds hanging over the Abajo Mountains.

By the time I get my camera out to document a long lonely road, the guys get way ahead of me, and make it lonelier.

We gain a little elevation and begin to appreciate the terrain a bit. Can you spot the guys?

Maybe this helps.

Eventually, we find out way into a canyon full of mines and gas wells. John and Jessie go exploring a mine a bit, while I take a quick maintenance break.

After crossing HWY 191 we see that the Abajo Mountains that we are heading for, are slowly disappearing behind some really ominous clouds.

Eventually, we work our way up into the Abajo mountains, and by the time we get there it's not so bad. The ridding gets a little more sporty and we spot a lot of deer. The next few hours of dirt riding are some of the nicest (and fastest) of the trip.

John’s not “feeling it” today. We all had our off days here and there (Okay maybe not Jessie), today was his turn.

Eventually, the road would take us to the far ridge you can see here. It included lots of beautiful views along the way.

It was easy to get lost in some of these views.

This is looking back from the other ridge to where the last pictures were taken. It took a couple of hours to get here, but the forest riding was AWESOME. With John not feeling 100%, I led for a bit and felt great to not eat dust for a bit.

We ran into som sandy sections soon after the above and were challenged a bit more. But it was all good. As we neared the end of the road we passed a cop who was headed up into the mountains to rescue a partner who had a couple of flats. The cop had a XR650 in his bed that he patrolled on occasionally. He took a copule of pictures of us for fun.

By now were, I, getting hungry and decide to run into Blanding for lunch. From there we scrutinize the maps a bit and decide that we’ve had enough of sand. The last section of the UTBDR is pretty Sandy, and kinda leaves us in the middle of nowhere. So we decide to head here…

We pick up some beer in Dove, then camp at the Bradfield Recreation Site on the Delores river. The campground has run out of water (bad), but was therefore free (good). The waterfilter earns it’s reputation again and we are able to spread out and relax for a bit. In between hauling wood, Jessie and John have a Wheelie contest…John wins…guess he was feeling better! Jessie makes a friend, and I make my bed.

SOTGSOTT

Tomorrow – Civilization…kinda.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703

Scott_PDX screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 01:57 PM
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote