View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 07:41 PM   #100
G-man17
The Devil Drives!

Oddometer: 2,532
Puke Since this is about the kind of bikes you ride etc .....

I thought I would chime in,

I began riding this year, 2005, but that is not to say that I had never riddnen before. I did--I had a scary incident (not mine but a friend) that sent me home with my tail between my legs. I was too stupid and too immature for something that required total concentration to enjoy.

I went to law school met a guy who had been a Ranger in the army and rode a bike to and from school, simple transportation, but he had that cool and all of us know what I am talking about.

When I was 27 I met a guy that rode cross country with his dad--I was in awe. I wanted that experience. I wanted those stories, I wanted to be able to say this is what I had done but, I still questioned my own . . . . He said to me that anyone can really become a good rider but that one should take the motorcycle safety course as a place to begin.

In 1996 my son was born, I knew I wanted to do that trip with him. Now at the age of 41 with four children and a wife, I took the motorcycle safety course. I love my kids and want to be there for them but, this was something I needed to do for myself. I loved every minute of the MSF course torqueing that 125cc bike up third gear--the insturctor asked me not to inform that I had broken the rules--but it was great fun on the tarmac in riding gear in the sweltering heat and humidity of August.

I passed; yes indeed, I passed. I had taken tests before--no really, ones that mattered like the bar exam, the series 7 exam, the insurance exam and countless others but the one that I took on the final day of the MSF course I think mattered more to me than any I had taken to date. (OK my priorites are arse backwards)

But this is a longwinded way of say I purchased a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. Why did I buy this bike? Because it was the BMW that I could afford. Huh? Well it is clear that Suzuki wants this bike to be their Adventure bike their "Long Way Round" bike.

Did my Mother know? Well hey, that is a really funny and intersting story. My wife told my sister I was taking the MSF course--women! My sister promptly told my mom. She did not confront me. She did come to baby-sit one day and went looking in the garage. Each of my children had been warned to remain mum on the cycle. Low and behold my Mom found my baby under a tarp. She promptly came out and said to my six year old daughter: "Well, I see your father bought a motorcycle!" My daughter said: Aah, no Grandma, that's a horse." My mom said: "No. In the garage it is a motorcycle." To which my daughter persisted: "Grandma your not suppose to see that--It's a horse." Confronted with that my Mother could not be mad. Confronted with that I story, I became very worried about what is in store for me with that kid and her quick mind.

Now I ride everywhere on the bike. I ride to the grocery store on it to the post office. I ride to the wine shop and Starbucks on it. I make up trips to go on and ride the bike, hell I have even thought of going back to church just so that I would have another place to ride the bike. I never want to go back to a car as my primary mode of transportation. No I am too old to become a racer but I want to be the best rider I can be.

I long for those big trips--I have yet to do one, but there will be many. Someday I will post my pictures and my story on this site and I hope they're up to snuff.

Thanks for the time and I hope to see you on the road.

G-man.
G-man17 is offline   Reply With Quote