View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #19
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
That picture is a perfect example of a K+N filter not fitting right (it's bowed back in front and unfiltered air and nuts are getting by for it). The trouble is that in my experience once they have been bowed back like that there is no fixing them. The rubber gets a memory that keeps bowing the filter back even after you cut into it to allow the filter to slide around the starter cover thusly letting the front lip fit over the front of the box like it should be.

Square airboxes? Personally I like them more than clam shells. Easier to work on and they work better IMO.
Hi SS.

I tried a D&A filter a few weeks ago. They made the same mistake as K&N. The starter cover pushes against the filter. It was easy to solve by putting 2 washers between the airbox and the gearbox. Now it fits perfect.
But on the top and bottom of the filter they made an edge so it can't be sucked into the box. Thats a good thing compared to the k&n.
The modification you mentioned (few weeks ago) might still be a good thing to not have to move the air box.

R100GS'91 (sold)

Prutser screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 09:40 AM
Prutser is online now   Reply With Quote