View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #2672
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,319
can we accomodate moving rim .550'' to right in order to.....

....in order to compensate the swing-arm having been moved to left??/

we should be able to if the rear hub flanges/spoke holes are wide enough to still have some decent geometry..this is accomplished several ways:
1,,lengthening spokes on left side and shortening on right,,,we can figure out how much
2,,the nipple holes will have to be re-angulated and countersunk to accomodate the different angle of attack
3,,we'd want stronger spokes on right usually to accomodate extra stress
4,,custom spoke kit ss heavy duty w ss nipples circa $125+/-
5,,having us superlace it would be cheapest/bullet proof option ,,includes re-angling/countersinking as part of process with a 1 year warranty= $111

holler when you are ready

woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Yo,

I am building up a Ninja 650R into a dirt machine. I am using KTM 450 suspension including swingarm. Since the countershaft sprocket is much further outboard on a sport bike vs dirt bike, I currently have a chain alignment issue. I solved this on the CBR i built by spacing out the rear sprocket and machining down the CS sprocket (to get it closer to the block). That took care of all alignment issues.

Someone in my build thread suggested that instead of centering the KTM swingarm (it is narrower than the Ninja frame and needs spacers) I should move the swingarm all the way to the left so that the chain aligns with everything stock. Then relace the wheel to the right to get the tire back on center.

I did that last night (moved the swingarm) and it made the packaging of the KTM shock much nicer too so I think I want to run with this.

The distance the tire needs to be offset is about 0.55". Is that too much? Would I need new spokes? $$?

This is how it looks with swingarm centered

This is how it looks with swingarm offset to the left

The last bike you guys helped me with was the FZ1 but that was running a KTM 950 swingarm and cush and was much wider I did not need to do anything to get that to work.

Thanks

Peter
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote