View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
operaflute OP
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 137
I agree - it looks like a great product. I decided on that rather than upgrading the bike's tank, because the rotopax is not only cheaper, but can be switched from bike to bike. It's not the quality, I really question. It's just trying to envision how to get it on my bike. That sort of thing is easier for me if I can actually hold the thing in my hands, if that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
I'm not near Tucson, but I can speak for the Rotopax products. I did a lot of research before buying, and they have a far superior reputation than anything else for good reason. They're larger than you'd expect for a 1-gallon jug, because they're heavily reinforced and have surprisingly thick walls. I have one on each side of my bike, mounted to Wolfman luggage racks, and they're tougher than you'll ever need them to be.

My XR650L weighs 350lbs, and I lay it down in dirt, sand, and rocks regularly. The Rotopax are always the first thing to touch the ground and they are nearly bullet proof. I even had a high speed get-off last year through rocks & trees that left me with a broken femur. The luggage racks and the subframe were bent so badly the tire would no longer clear, but the Rotopax didn't budge or spill a drop.

You can also use them to drive tent stakes into the ground or smack some sense into a charging rhinoceros. I understand you want to see & hold them first, but I promise you can buy them sight unseen and end up happy.

My $.02