View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #103
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,275
Thumbs down

I was 40 (now 54) and never had an interest in riding.

1st bike was a '90 R100RT that I bought in Los amgeles sight unseen from the MOA News and rode cross-country to the MOA rally that year in Du Quoin,Il.
Well at least that was the plan! I made it across the Mojave and the trouble started.Voltmeter was dropping quickly and i headed south toward Phoenix. It quit completely at 9 a.m. and an hour later someone finally stopped to help.We unloaded his loaded pickup bed,rolled the bike up a hill, and backed hil truck up the hill and guided the bike onto the bed.Ho took me all the way to Phoenix(nearest dealer) from northern Arizona and I gave him $100.I rode all the way in the back with bike.2 days in Phoenix and I was on the road again with a new battery and voltage regulator.On the way to Oklahoma City same problem.Got ther ejust b4 closing on Saturday and waited the 3 days until open again on TuesdayNew battery and something else.Off again and lite and voltmeter going again.Called BMWNA for the 100th time and they said to take the bike to Dallas and Perry would find the problem. believe it was BMW of Dallas. They kindly took me to the airport and i flew home to Orlando,repacked and fley to St Louis and drove to the Rally.Perry had to ride the bike to simulate the problem with meters and guages attached to locate the problem.The wiring harness running beneath the tank and over the frame was being pinched..so that was replaced along with the requesite battery and whatnot and he actually trailered my bike here with BMW paying the tab.
Kept that bike intil I married-big mistake.Both the marriage and selling the bike!
Have had 6 Harleys.1 Ducati 750 Paso,1 Kawa Concours,and 5 BMWs,including the '05 GS that will be delivered next week.
1 accident 2 blks from home at a 4 wat stop-idiot on right pulled out in front and I hammered her door broadside in 1st gear.I lost.That was after I had ridden to Milwaukee and back for the Harley 98th anniv.
The GS is the perfect ride for my retirement in Mexico next year.I have never owned a crotchrocket and it's probably a good thing I waited until 40 to start!
John
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote