View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #44
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,176
Oh my god.....replacing a timing chain is a GIANT pain in the arse.

So yesterday I disassembled everything and shipped my starter off to Rick, as I've never serviced it. Cleaned the starter cavity up nicely and removed the rest of the timing cover gasket off the block. I had broken my 3 jaw puller and planned on going to Napa in the morn for the steering/H20 pump puller wirewrk had suggested. Well, using that puller I had to remove the bearing and the sprocket seperate. And it worked, but stripped out, so it's going back to Napa. Mike came by to swap in his new rear wheel, and I love having company in the shop but I was really having to think on this one.

Sprocket in the oven, a couple of times before I got it to budge on the crank...what I planned on using to drive it home didn't work. So I waited till mike left then ran to Lowes to get a big ass socket to fit. Sent the sprocket home and then got to work on heating the bearing. Put it in some motor oil on to the stove, as I was googling how long to heat it.....my house began to smell kinda funny. Oh shit....yep that oil smelled like fookin dog shite!!! I'm an asshole, and hoping I didn't toast the bearing. I ran outside with a smoking, shit pan full of oil..... It feels and looks fine, so I'm a gonna run with it. Lost my cam and crank marks so rockers and pushrods OUT.! Got everything all lined up then installed the new tensioner and spring and chain. It was a bitch getting the master link on, another airhead project I'd rather farm out....way more fiddly than anything else I've ever done. Patience was wearing thin...... Got it!!!! I will say it was easier with the guide off, and the tensioner tied back....wrapped the link with some wire and used a long flathead behind that....I even had problems getting the old link in from the front!!!!

So, chain on, time to put the pushrods and rockers back on. Last time I had the heads out to Carl I noticed that my top, right front stud is proud maybe 1/2". Brad was helping me out and we didn't think anything of it, but we did discuss it......well that mother fucker is stripped.!!!! I tried to tighten it into the case, but it wouldn't budge, but I can only torque it to about 15 ft/lbs. Not sure what to do. Wondering if I can ride it till I can get it to the shop for helicoil.?

What say you?

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote