View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #53
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Best deal at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcruiser View Post
If you were buying a bike to sell when you got home, why did you purchase the KLR? For a two-up 1500 mile trip on pavement it seems many other bike choices would have been more suitable.

Something like a used V-Strom would have been similar in price and much more comfortable, especially for your wife.

Note: I ride a Strom and a DRZ 400. And I love the KLR.
Actually I had a used Harley Ultra Classic bought in Boston for the ride home. I was looking more closely at the pictures a week or so before actually consumating the purchase and it dawned on me that the lower fairings were not on the bike. I called and asked the owner and he said they were not on it when he bought it. That started me thinking about damage history so I did a CarFax. Found it had been damaged down in Daytona and had to be towed (doesn't take much damage to require a bike to be towed). But I hadn't been told about it. Then I looked at the owner history and it didn't match up with what I had been told. So I respectfully cancelled the purchase (the owner seemed to be a nice guy but the findings made me uneasy.)

So long story longer, My wife lost the comfy Ultra Classic experience for the back seat of a KLR as it was the only other deal in the Boston area that I felt I could buy, ride home and still make a profit when sold. Plus, I'm a sucker for a KLR with aluminum boxes.

We're still married which is more a testament to Mrs. Liberia's forgiveness than my worthiness

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote