Thread: F800gs
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy1717 View Post

I'll get done under warranty where needed.. are fuel tank, valve cover leak and steering bearings all normally covered under the warranty with or without a little bitching?

Id be the 3rd owner at 19K so a little concerned about that - but was resold at BMW and apparently all paperwork supposedly in hand. Ill prob test drive and then stop in at dealer with vin to get service history confirmed.

Bent rim(s) other than obvious visual would vibrate on test drive I assume? - Apparently it hasn't been off road at all.

Anything else I should look for?
The fuel tank cracking happens far less in Canada for some reason but is still a known problem. The valve cover leak happenend to ALL the bikes which prompted a redesign. Both these issues should be easy enough to resolve. The steering bearings were an issue to a TO guy here. Mine were probably the same but I didn't care. He was able to get three sets changed at a Toronto area Dealer under warranty where I never considered it possible so never asked.

We just replaced our 658 (slang for the 650gs twin with an 800 engine) that my GF wrote off 6 wks ago now. We're the 4th owners in 20K. I was confident because it had the full Dealer history behind it and with BMW's, sometimes the owners work their way up with new bikes a lot. It had been ridden gently by a newish mature rider, traded in, then bought by a guy that had second thoughts about it for over a year (added less than 2k kms to it), then sold it to another iffy rider. We bought it all accessorized already and was too good a deal to pass up.

Are you buying it certified? Is the BMW Dealer doing it? When you're checking the VIN with the Dealer, ask about the warranty history. They can tell you the claims and recalls already done.

As a general inspection item, I always look at the steering stops for damage or repair. Seen a few that were suspect before.

I think you're a bit tall for a 658. An 800/658 is the same riding position while moving but feels small when stopped. I'm a bit short for my 800 but fine when loaded up. I've spent a lot of time on an R1200GS which are nice but more money still. My 800 came pre-destroyed as a test bike so it was cheap and I pretend I beat it up cause I'm a "Gnarly Adventurer" like everyone else here.