View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #1122
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
OK this is the whole of Kazakhstan on Google Earth ... we are in the white ring towards the left.

The evening we are up to ... evening Day 41, we are about 200 km (120 miles) west of the city of Semipalatinsk (Semey). The Soviet nuclear test site (also in the white ring) is about 160 km (100 miles) west of Semipalatinsk ... just 20-30 miles south-east of where we were camped.

If you stick these co-ords (N50.43803 E77.81421) in google earth or google maps then look at the satellite pics (zoom out to get some perspective) you will see a lot of target signs and huge bomb craters
thanks (again) for taking the time to do that it really hits home when you can look at a global map and see exactly where these pictures are coming from. Kazakhstan looks to be about 1/2 the size of the US so from my perspective you're riding from Texas to Maine across a whole lot of nothing. When we ride (with the exception of Dr. Rock and Francine) across states in the US we have large travel centers with gas, hot meals, ice cream, showers, internet, beer, wine, etc. etc. and there are no lack of them. and when I was doing some cross country touring on the major highways (interstates) I remember how your mind would wander as the miles rolled by. but man you guys are out in the middle of NOWHERE I can't imagine the isolation knowing there isn't a nice motel waiting with warm bed and shower and someone to deliver a hot pizza whenver you feel like picking up the phone. fascinating. I'd like to try it in a LARGE group but man you people are brave!!

thank you again.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote