There are some interesting differences I noticed on the 2013s while I was sitting at the dealer:
- The rear brake reservoir moved forward, right above the regulator. Definitely a less vulnerable location even without any sort of guard on it. I think they moved the charcoal canister as well, but I'm not sure where.
- The regulator is now mounted facing downwards instead of out, and may be slightly more inboard of the frame rails.
- The hose from the handlebar to the ABS block appears to be a little bit longer. Looks like you could probably mount a decent size bar riser without having to change it out or adjust it in any way. The rest of the cables looked pretty much the same length though.
- Mentioned before but the bodywork is a lot different. The radiator shrouds seem a lot shorter/smaller and less "bloated" than the older style (or maybe I have a touch of BMW Acquisition Syndrome). The beak definitely looks shorter too.
- The control pods on the handlebars are different, plus they have more buttons for ESA and stuff. I like the old style better personally.