View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #47
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Oddometer: 109
Day 12 Mud on the Dempster

From Mug Shots

Story by Steve

Today was a big ride day for the group, 410 miles. Inuvik to Tombstone campground, down the Dempster Highway. Missy & I had made a pact after the chase truck came into the picture-we would not give up our ride and drive the chase truck-period. We were both determined to complete this whole journey and not whimp out by driving part of the way in a chase truck-100% was our mission! What a day it was. Leaving Inuvik it was actually fairly nice weather, we rode in heavy dust for first 100 miles. Crossed the McKenzie & Peel Rivers on small ferries. Saw huge bear paw prints in the mud at a ferry crossing.

From Arctic Wolf Day12

From Arctic Wolf Day12

Then the rain started and the Dempster turned into a mud bath. Mud so slick the locals call it black grease, potholes that will swallow half a front tire, ruts left by tractor trailers that will pull you around. Road crews up this way use corrosive Calcium Chloride to hold the road together-junk. Sure makes for a intense slimmy ride.

From Arctic Wolf Day12

From Arctic Wolf Day12

We saw several cars & other bikers down in the mud. Mud was flying all over the place, I could not keep it off my Arai XD face shield. I wiped my shield off so many times, with my muddy gloves, that it got scratched up so bad I could not see through it. In the raised position I tried my sun glasses-same results. Finally I just rode without eye protection and it actually was a better ride.

From Arctic Wolf Day12

As we rode through the high mountain passes it was comforting to read the avalanche warning signs. At one point I looked at my GPS & it said 110 miles to destination!

From Arctic Wolf Day12

Oh boy! Can't wait, 3-4 more hours of this and I will be putting my tent up in the rain!

From Arctic Wolf Day12

Missy on the Versys got so much mud on the Radiator that it started to overheat, so she drove it into a stream and we splached water to wash the mud and unclog the radiator.

From Arctic Wolf Day12

We arrived at the campground & the camp ranger allowed us to sleep in two community cooking cabins, out of the rain! One had a large wood stove and was super comfortable for us-we scored again. Large wood stove and a good supply of firewood was right up my alley.

From Arctic Wolf Day12

From Arctic Wolf Day12

From Arctic Wolf Day12

From Arctic Wolf Day12

The stove was put to good use for the late evening meal prepared by our chefs. Our cook cabin even had drop down sun shades! Missy, Tracy & I slept like babies in a warm dark cabin. Morning will bring us 34 degrees, clear weather and a major change of route plans-on with the adventure

From Arctic Wolf Day12

From Arctic Wolf Day12