View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
Lug Nut
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I was also interested in the GTL as a 2up bike and rented one when we went to Vegas this past Sept. We had the bike for a day, picked it up at Las Vegas BMW. and rode out to the Hoover Dam, then we rode out to the Ring of Fire by way of shore rd then the interstate back to Vegas to our hotel. We did just over 200 miles and this is what our impressions are based on.
From my perspective the motor is fantastic,the transmission shifted nice, the low speed handling was vague,
that is 15mph or lower, after that it was fine,suspensions was good, the wind protection was good. The radio was good around town, on the highway not so much. Storage was good. Overall I enjoyed the bike.
My wife's point of view, she experienced terrible buffeting at speeds over 50mph. She did not feel secure on the bike. The seating position was to high and she was unable to use the grab rails because the trunk interfered with her arms. She felt that if I had to make an evasive maneuver she would get launched. Deal breaker . We would have put more miles on the bike but she was not enjoying it at all. She wouldn't even ride back to the dealer the next day to drop it off, all of 5 miles.
So you know were I am coming from I ride about 15k a year, I would say half of that with my wife. The bikes we use are a 2004 R1150RA and a 2010 Victory Cross Roads.
My suggestion would be to rent the bike for the day, your opinion might be completely different than ours.
This is also my first post. Good Luck
Lug Nut is offline   Reply With Quote