View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #296
EvilClown OP
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,521
It's a cold, wet December day here. Has me thinking about warmer climes. Let's see if we can't get another segment done here. Now, where were we...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Día diez...

If there's a plan today it will take us from Alaska to Siberia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
...Today we discuss a different plan. A plan whose seeds were planted months ago (years, now) with an email to Dave that included a Google Earth link showing Alaska, Costa Rica. After virtually traveling over the terrain I shoot him the link with a simple note, "We gotta go here."

His quick reply, "Right after we go to Siberia."

Sure enough, zooming out, there's a Siberia, too! A plan is hatched.

That, btw, is more or less the extent of our trip planning.

So, over another cafe negra, typico and some fresh pelican cheese we plan the day. "What if we leave our crap here and just spend the day exploring the mountains. The bikes will be nice and light for the trails, we can get back early, hang around, have a nice relaxed dinner and some Bavarias..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzerwheel View Post
...Like EC said...if we had any goal whatsoever on this trip...it was to go to Alaska, Costa Rica. Hard to believe that we picked this spot a few months ago, and here we were finally. This is a pretty remote spot, at least by Costa standards. We congratulated ourselves....

So, here we are, many months after conceiving the idea, in 'downtown' Alaska, Costa Rica!

Too early in the day to call it complete we decide we'll keep on exploring. After all, Part II of the plan had not yet been executed. There was still the Siberia piece.

We continue climbing...

...between the altitude and the steepness of he grade, the Tornadoes earn their keep...

At some point during our ascent Dave asks about continuing or heading back.* It is getting kinda late in the afternoon considering it does get dark at 6.

"I'm the wrong guy to ask. Once I'm this far I'm not one to turn around. I've got to get to the top even if it isn't the smahtest thing to do..."

Apparently, taking leave of his senses, he agrees to continue leading the climb...

You gotta remember, he's the smaht one of the group.

We climb even higher...

...until we're into the into the clouds.

Our ride up through and subsequently above the clouds is surreal...

...the riding is heavenly...

...the views definitely do not suck.

In spite of it, Dave glances at the time and does a face palm.

Ok. I made that part up.

Prolly not too far off, though, as he tells me his bike seems to be running out of gas.

Gassoline out in the middle of no where being overrated, we continue forward...

The road disappears into another layer of clouds...

...but eventually opens back up overlooking the valleys below...

...where we stop and take it all in...

It is absolutely breath taking!

*My recollection. Maybe it was just something I sensed from body language, etc. It's been awhile...

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote