View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I had that load shed issue on the LT so I installed a latching relay triggered by the high beams. The HID light stays off until I hit the high beams and the relay latches. On the 09 GS the head light never comes on until the engine is started. Must be an update to the ZFE module. It also goes off if the engine dies with the key on after 5 seconds.

Thanks for all the good info on the HID units.

I had experience building military trainers that used projectors with early HID bulbs in '97. Had an issue in that our design had the projectors moving through 80 degrees of movement and the bulbs were only lasting 30 - 60 hours (they were rated for 1000) and cost $580. Later found out the projectors had to be maintained level or near level or the arc would plate out material onto the quartz globe and they would heat up and shatter. Painfull and costly lesson.
Lamp orientation is critical on high powered installations. The 35 watt automotive HIDs want to be operated in the horizontal orientation otherwise they will overheat the electrode seals and cause failure. Some lamps are made with a seal elements of molybdenum to improve the seal integrity.
def is offline   Reply With Quote