View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #79
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
Using the flat tripple would make the bike higher.
Dmaster made a new stem. And isn't using a spacer under the top triple.(correct me if i'm wrong mate)
If you would use a flat bottom triple clamp and would fully compress the fork untill the sliders touch the clamp.
Than there is about 1" of space between the tire and the clamp. This 1" is extra height at the front that can not be used for wheel travel. For the handling of the bike you need to lift the rear end. You could give the rear less sag but that way you will loose traction and comfort.
Keeping the bike high for ground clearance is nice but the lower bikes handle much better than the high ones with technical riding. ( not talking about fast or straight tracks)

With this mod the bike can still be low at the front with a lot more travel than original. And some real damping !!!!!
The damping of the drz fork can be tuned to the needs of the airheads and still use soft springs without the bike bottoming out all the time or dive to the max with hard braking.

The long travel rear does cost a lot for a few cm's extra wheel travel.
With the drz fork mod u can gain a lot of travel and controle but still use the stock swing arm.
I have thoughts of building up an Expedition bike using my paralever GS and converting it into a longer travel monolever.For 2up riding long travel is needed as you cant stand in the rough stuff so the suspension must soak up everything. Another reason for a long swingarm is with 2uo it moves the weight behind the rear wheel forward. ( I would like to try a longer swingarm in my DR to see if would help stability and steep climbs) The Paralever is maxed out at 190mm of travel. The 1100/1150 Paralevers can be grafted in but the monolever i think is simpler and tougher, and probably lighter ? I think 250mm of Travel would be good. More may be better but the seat height may become a problem. I'm only 5'10" My DR650 with DRZ front and rear running minimal sag before luggage has me on tip toes. You mentioned wanting a clamp with more offset for the DRZ front. I have not ridden an Airhead with small offset clamps and am interested in your thoughts on the handling between the two ?
Cheers Phil
Phreaky Phil is online now   Reply With Quote