I am currently restoring my 1989 R100GS-Paris Dakar and this is what I altered so far. Once she's back on the road, I'll see what if anything else needs doing -
1. Change front brake caliper for one of the modded R1100 Brembos as mentioned earlier.
2. Fit braided stainless steel front brake pipe.
3. Fitted a floating front brake disc. All of these mods brought the front brake performance from 'poor' to 'slightly better'. I shall check the entire front system through, replacing seals, etc, to try to get it better.
3. Fitted a Secdem front screen although the American Parabellum looks much better.
4. Fitted Touratech 'Zega' rear panniers and their brackets, much stronger than the originals.
5. Replaced the pig ugly front mudguard with the lower one.
Other mods in the pipeline -
6. Jim Cray twin plugged cylinder heads.
7. Alloy top box.
8. Better (bigger & wider) footrests.
9. Remove oil cooler from the crash bars and mount this on the frame.
10. Replace rusty spokes with stainless.
11. Replace all fasteners with stainless (in spite of what some might say)
Other than that, I shall leave her well alone as she'll be just the bike that'll suit me.