View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Possible update and a question

Ok, so this morning I swapped the plug leads from right to left, same issues..... Right side sputters at mid rmp. ( yesterday was backfiring out of the right side, not today). So the coil may be ok. I did not include the points on my fact finding yesterday as I thought if the points were the issue then both right and left would sputter and pop.. Well, I popped off the front cover and inspected the points. Seems to be a "pit" on the lower side so not having a new set I sanded down both side with some 400 grit sand paper ( very lightly). The bike runs much better now, still not up to snuff and tends to miss in middle range rpm ( slow speeds in 2nd 3rd). Question: could indeed the point be the problem? Could bad points seem to make one side run bad and not the other? I can't see any other problems and a pitting of the points can't be good anyway so I'm going to order a set first thing Monday morning, along with a condenser.