View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Clutch Lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
Damage, scuff on a corner of the left box and my clutch handle is curved into a very interesting shape - kind of looks like something you would have done custom on a cruiser.:loll I'll do a good look over tomorrow morning when I have more light. One slightly scraped elbow. All clothing survived, all sequins still attached.!
Little bike. Great story. Make sure the bent lever does not effect you reaching it easily. If you think you need to replace it you have nothing to lose if you want to try to straighten the bent one.
Take it off your bike , remove any plastic bushings or adjusting knobs that could melt. Get some nice thick leather work gloves on and heat the lever with a heat gun, propane torch or even a natural gas stove top for about 30 sec. Put it on a solid surface and Gently tap it with a small hammer to it's original shape. OR put it in a vise and slowly press it back to shape. It is a risk because it could break ,but like I said if it needs replaced...nothing to lose.
If it is one of those bends where just the ball end bent it will probably break but you could be lucky.
After you get it to the original shape heat it up again and the dip it in cold water to quench it.
I have done this method many times , riding trials = bent levers, most of the times it works.

Jack
Sherco 290 ST

sideup screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 08:38 AM Reason: Typo
sideup is offline   Reply With Quote