View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #7876
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,339
Puttering around

Bought some nice used KLR parts off a great guy in Portage yesterday (Thnx Rick!). Spent the morning decarboning and polishing up this nice head. Cam bearing journals are in great shape. Supposedly it came off a low mileage write-off. Got the bottom end too - it's somewhere between a 2000 to 2006 vintage. It was dropped during shipping unfortunately, so RH case is missing a little chunk. Am tempted to buy a RH case and all the odds and sods I need to build up a complete 2nd engine... this head is missing cams - hmmm, hot cams anyone?

My spare cylinder is at the machine shop right now getting bored & honed for the 685 kit. Am hoping to have a little more oomph for highway cruising this next summer.

Edit: I carried on working on the head this afternoon and decarboned the exhaust port and mildly ported it. I'm fairly handy with a Dremel, and actually kind of enjoyed doing this. I left the intake port alone - the stock intake porting is pretty nice actually, and hard to improve on, unlike the exhaust.

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 12:40 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote