Thread: Guitar thread
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #1186
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
First off what's the word on Ibanez? They seem to get decent reviews but not really mentioned at all here.

Second, how can you know before purchase where a guitar is made and how much of a real difference does it make?

Third, what is the difference between a 22 fret and a 24 fret and does it make a difference to a beginner?
1) They make really decent beginner and medium-range guitars. A lot of my friends had them starting off and I had an Ibanez bass when I started. Generally they play smooth and sound good.

2) Google will tell you where the different models are made. Probably Korea, Japan, etc.

3) Exactly this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
The difference between a 22 fret and a 24 fret is 2 frets. The designation has to do with how far up the scale the neck goes. Doesn't really make a difference to a beginner and, truth be told, doesn't make a difference to about 90% of guitarists, beginner or expert.
+1

A lot of beginner metal guys obsess over frets, but it doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
I know what pickups are but how do you tell the good ones from the crap ones?
What is the difference between normal pickups and humbuckers?
Ha, it's all about sound.

The Ibanez in that craigslist ad appears to have EMG-HZ's (or knock-offs) which are active (powered) pickups, generally popular among metal-heads for their high gain. Humbuckers are pretty much standard these days. Single-coils seem to be on Telecasters and the like. It all depends on what gain, feel, and sound you want.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote